The District is fortunate that members of the Holland Springfield Spencer Historical Society have maintained a wealth of information about the Springfield/Holland community. From them we know that in 1898, Springfield Schools held its first commencement exercises for a class consisting of two graduates - Mabel Hovey and Eathel M. Wood. Ms. Hovey later became Holland’s first Mayor and believed “...what Holland had been was nothing compared to what it could be.” When elected mayor, Ms. Hovey was one of only two women mayors ever elected in Ohio. She later went on to teach Holland students for more than 27 years.
The first school house in Springfield Township was a log cabin on the south side of Angola Road between McCord and Clark Street. Land for more schools was deeded to the Township and housed the Eight Square School on Garden Road in 1846; the Red School on Holloway Road in 1847; the Green School on Holland-Sylvania in 1847; Starr School at Crissey in 1848, and Clark Street School in 1847. In 1893, the community rose to the challenge and completed a three-winged school house for grades 1-12. It was located where our current Holland Elementary now stands on Kittle Road and Madison Street. Mr. Leo Jacobs was its first Principal.
By 1921 Holland had a centralized school system with nine teachers and 300 students. The library consisted of 261 volumes and a school bus fleet of two! The school budget for 1921 was $15,000.
In 1925 a grassroots effort took place to fund a gymnasium. With the help of the Manual Training Boys and several generous citizens, the gymnasium was built for entertainment and sport events. Then, seating capacity was 1,350. It was the largest auditorium in Lucas County. Through the years, this auditorium has served the community well. It housed the music department in the 1950's-1970's. From the 1970's through 1980 this building housed the district’s Administration offices.
Springfield Township again worked together to build a new high school. On January 21, 1938, the community held a dedication ceremony for the most modern high school in Lucas County. The estimated cost of the project was $150,000. Click here to view the program prepared for the dedication, provided to us by Alumni Bob Price! Per the program designed to commemorate the dedication, the total enrollment of the district at that time was 947 students. Touted as "the most modern building in Lucas County, the high school was complete with clocks in all classrooms, the latest in visual education and sound equipment, a cafeteria and cafeteria kitchen, a modern stage, the latest improved typewriters, the most modern and up-to-date heating and ventilating system, a separate library room, individual steel lockers, a girls' rest room, and chair storage. The graduating class for that year numbered 26. This remained the high school until 1968. Since 1968 this building has housed Springfield Middle School. Many additions have been made to this building, now connected to Holland Elementary School, which was most recently renovated in 2005-2006.
In 1942, Crissey Elementary School was a three-classroom schoolhouse. Additions and renovations to Crissey through the years have increased classroom space to accommodate the growing number of students in attendance - currently at over 440 students. The school mascot is the Crissey Lion. Mr. Oatis Amick began as Principal at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year.
Holland Elementary School was originally built in the 1920's. As with each of the district's elementary schools, Holland, too, needed to grow to accommodate the increasing families choosing to live in its surrounding neighborhoods. Through the years, additional classroom space has been added and most recent renovations were completed between 2005-2007. The mascot is the Holland Hawk. Currently Holland educates over 600 students. Holland's Principal Mrs. Hilary Steinmiller has been the school's instructional leader since 2013.
In 1960 Holland High School became Springfield High School and changed its mascot from the Holland Blue Zippers to the Springfield Blue Devils. Why Blue Devils? During World War I, a regiment of soldiers, consisting of
In 1992, the community again supported its school system and voted a bond issue to fund a new elementary school. Holloway Elementary School opened for the 1994-95 school year and is located on Pilliod Road. Mr. Bill Renwand serves as Principal for the almost 500 Holloway Hornets who attend the school.
Voter approval of a “no new tax” bond levy, in November of 2007, also allowed the district to add classrooms and updated fitness facilities to Springfield High School, a off-street loop for bus transportation at the high school and middle school, and additional parking for Springfield Middle School and Holland Elementary School guests.
Construction, at no cost to the district, began in June, 2013 on Springfield Schools' property for the long-awaited McCord Road railroad underpass. A portion of the current SHS bus garage was used to prepare temporary railroad tracks for use during the next phases of the construction schedule. Space in the student parking lot was claimed and reinforced to accommodate the partial relocation of parking for school buses. A parking lot at the west end of Springfield Community Stadium was added for student parking thanks to the investment by business partner Midwest Tapes. Construction of a round-about at Hall Street and McCord Road is partially complete and all await the completion of the project!
Athletics, Music and More